Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is a Local Nature Reserve ( since 2001), sited within a conservation area.
The park opened first in 1841 as one of London's 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries. Burials ceased in 1966 when the site was closed as a cemetery by an Act of Parliament. Designated as a Park, it was owned and managed by the Greater London Council (GLC) until 1985. The Park then passed to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Today, the Cemetery Park holds designations as a Conservation Area, Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation and Metropolitan Open Space.
It contains several English Heritage Grade 2 listed Monuments and is managed, on behalf of the council, by the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, who also offer many activities and learning opportunities to the the public: www.fothcp.org